If your AC keeps shutting down without any apparent cause, it can cause considerable distress. In humid locations like Savannah, air conditioning it vital to maintain a comfortable temperature, and even an hour or two without it can create considerable discomfort. There’s always a reason behind a shutdown, of course, some more easily spotted than others. Your AC may keep shutting down for any one of a number of reasons:
- Thermostat setting: The simplest and easiest explanation for a mysterious AC shut down is that it’s responding to the settings on your thermostat. An automated thermostat may turn on and off at a particular time or day, and if you inadvertently set the temperature higher than you thought, then the AC may not turn on at all.
- Old compressor: The compressor works with the refrigerant to draw heat out of your house. When it gets old or suffers damage, it may stop suddenly and then restart. In some cases, it may trip the circuit breaker sending power to your air conditioning, which means it’s in need of replacement or maintenance.
- Condensate pan problems: The condensate pan is installed under the AC’s air handler to collect condensation. Some units have an overflow switch in the pan which shuts the unit off if the water reaches a certain level. This is a safety measure designed to prevent more serious damage to you air conditioning.
- Motor overload: Some AC motors come equipped with a rest switch that shuts the motor off when it overloads. There are many causes for this, including extended running time, inadequate ventilation and bad line voltage.
- Pressure safety switches: Some air conditioning systems contain a pressure switch that monitors the refrigerant, the heat pump and similar components. When the pressure gets too high, the switch automatically shuts off the system. Like the motor overload switch, this is done to prevent further damage to the air conditioner.
Unless it’s a simple mistake like the thermostat being set incorrectly, you should never keep trying to turn your air conditioning back on after it repeatedly shuts down. Instead, call a licensed service provider to pinpoint the problem and provide a solution. The experts at AAction Air handle air conditioning issues throughout the Savannah area, and are on call to handle your needs. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.